Announcement on updates of the Vietnamese entry and exit rules
for foreign nationals
Amidst the swift and complicated developments of the COVID-19 pandemic around the globe, the Vietnamese Government has made the following decision to effectively contain the spread of the disease:
1. Temporarily suspend entry of all foreign nationals into Viet Nam, with the exception of those entering Viet Nam for diplomatic, official and other extraordinary purposes (including foreign guests attending or otherwise in service of important foreign affairs events, experts, corporate managers, high skilled workers).
– Vietnamese authorities shall grant appropriate visas (if necessary) for entrants with diplomatic, official and other extraordinary purposes as mentioned above. These entrants shall be subject to mandatory health declaration and medical screening in designated areas at ports of entry, and appropriate quarantine at their place of residence in line with the regulations. In that connection, Representative Missions in Viet Nam shall submit a commitment to fulfill the medical monitoring of their citizens during their stay in Viet Nam.
2. The validity of the Visa Exemption Certificates for persons of Vietnamese origin and their families shall also hereby be temporarily suspended. The aforementioned measures shall take effect from 00:00, 22 March 2020.
3. Entrants into Viet Nam shall be subject to medical screening and mandatory quarantine at designated facilities, with the exception of foreigners entering Viet Nam for diplomatic and official purposes, or other such extraordinary purposes (including foreign guests attending or otherwise in service of important foreign affairs events, experts, corporate managers, high skilled workers…).
– Foreign experts, corporate managers and high skilled workers, who have obtained COVID-19 negative certificates issued by their host countries’ competent authorities and approved by Viet Nam prior to their arrival, shall be able to enter Viet Nam and subject to tight quarantine at their place of residence in line with the regulations.
* The Consulate General of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in San Francisco has advised Vietnamese people residing in the affected areas to rigorously follow instructions made by the local authorities to prevent the spread of the virus; avoid traveling to areas hit by or vulnerable to the COVID-19 in the US as warned by local competent agencies.
* For emergencies which may require the Consulate’s actions and protection of Vietnamese Citizens or Legal Entities, Vietnamese citizens can call the The Consulate General of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in San Francisco’s citizen protection hotline at +1-415 – 415 910 5787; +1 415 481 9030; or Vietnam’s citizen protection call centre at +84 981 84 84 84.