Any document issued/certified/or norarized by US authorities or notaries public should be legalized by Vietnamese competent authorities, before bringing into Vietnam for use.

Documents requested to be legalized can be submitted in person or by mail to the Consulate.

1. Documents include:

-  01 Letter of request for legalization 

- Documents need to be legalized: The document(s) should be authenticated by a relevant State- Level Secretary of State or by the Office of Authentication of the Ministry of Foreign Affaires*.

* Note:

The documents, which have not been authenticated by a relevant State-Level Secretary of State or by the Office of Authentication of the Ministry of Foreign Affaires, will be considered as ineligible and returned, even if they have been issued/certified/or notarized by a county clerk, court clerk, notary public or other U.S. authorities.

- Fees can be paid in cash if applied in  person. Otherwise, the fees must be in the form of MONEY ORDER, or CASHIER’S CHECK, or CERTIFIED CHECK payable to “The Consulate of Vietnam”.

- A prepaid return envelope: if the applicant requests the documents to be returned by mail. The Consulate recommends that applicant(s) use USPS Express Mail or FedEx with the tracking numbers.  USPS - United States Postal Service (prepaid postage stamp envelope or return label) can be bought online at or prepaid return FedEx label can be bought online at You are advised to keep the tracking number for your own reference.

2.  Processing time takes up to 5-7 working days. In case of urgency, the Consulate can return the documents in 1-3 working days (additional fees required).

 For further information, please contact the Consular Section.

1700 California St, Suite 580 San Francisco, CA 94109
(415)922-1707 - (415)922-1577
(415)922-1848 - (415)922-1757